Friday, February 6, 2009

Day 37: Fleeting Moments



A poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let me go where'er I will,
I bear a sky-born music still:
It sounds from all things old,
It sounds from all things young,
From all that's fair, from all that's foul,
Peals out a cheerful song.

It is not only in the rose,
It is not only in the bird,
Not only where the rainbow glows,
Nor in the song of woman heard,
But in the darkest, meanest things
There alway, alway something sings.

'T is not in the high stars alone,
Nor in the cup of budding flowers,
Nor in the redbreast's mellow tone,
Nor in the bow that smiles in showers,
But in the mud and scum of things
There alway, alway something sings.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm not sure I agree with this as much as I used to. I have a better understanding of how dark and mean this world can be than when I first read this as a child. But I do still like the poem and it makes me think about how to find the good even when it is hard to see. As we are told:

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 4:4-7

So, about the weather...I think it rained from here down to San Diego last night. At least it was pouring when I was talking to people there and in LA. It did make it seem like a small world after all. It froze in the night so in the morning I went out to photograph the icy rain drops studding the orchard, but they quivered and dropped off as I kept trying to get the right focus on the camera. I stopped to snap a shot of the ice crystals melting in the water around the pile of old bricks, and the cat came to investigate. Did you see his reflection? Once back inside the light seemed to change. I peeked out and found that the melted rain drops had all evaporated into a thick fog completely obscuring the Blue Mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment