Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day 20: Delayed Dawn

I woke on this historic day filled with anticipation and hope. I couldn't pull myself from the unfolding moment displayed on the TV, so I snapped a shot of my four year old looking at Obama getting ready to head to the inauguration, with the dawning gray morning silhouetting a branch of the rose bush growing outside my living room window.

The morning drive, to all three schools, surprised me with its interesting sky. Swaths of clouds in a beautiful light royal blue, somehow both soft and bold, contrasted with the normal gray creating drama that seemed to echo the beating of my heart.

From there the tone changed. I was reminded both of my shortcomings, and also of the non-celebratory mood that hangs over my town. I also ran into the massive amount of us who did want to watch and celebrate as our first African-American President was sworn into office. When I signed on to CNN Live I was greeted with a message saying:
"You made it - so did everyone else! You are in line and will be connected to the live feed as soon as a slot opens up!"

It took what felt like an eternity, and sadly when it did load, it was choppy, frozen and hard to hear.

As icing on the cake, I lost the picture I took of the dawn.

So now, I finally sit down to finally enjoy the celebration. Thank goodness for Dish DVR! In lieu of the lost morning shot, I'll share a bit of Air and Simple Gifts, played at the inauguration. I wish I still had the larger memory card, so I could record it all, but this still captures the moment:



A quieter joy fills my heart as the dawn of true equality, of ALL men (and women) truly standing equal in our land, finally breaks free over our country. We have yet to see what this new day holds. There is a lot to be done, but I do hope that step by step, we can overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment